A homeschooling family's learning adventure as they travel across the country.

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Day 13 --Final day in D.C. and a visit with old friends

I have been listening to the pounding of rain for over an hour. We had great (albeit warm and humid) weather yesterday for our family day in D.C. but today is looking rather nasty. The boys and Joe will head down to the Capitol in a few hours after the traffic has died down, while Isabelle and I have a delightful day planned with old friends. I have been so privileged to have sweet and godly friendships in all of the places God has taken us to through the years. Today, a luncheon has been planned in our honor and I will be able to catch up with the lives of several who touched my life while we lived here. I will likely also take the time to somewhat plan out the next several days of travel as we anticipate "turning our vessel back westward" come Saturday :-) Please pray for my little girl who is quite homesick and last night cried some big alligator tears while missing her dog and goats and everything familiar.

Later -- look at the spread my girlfriend set out!!! We had beautiful salads, croissants with chicken salad, fresh berries, and enough desserts to satisfy even my sweet tooth -- all on beautiful china. Isabelle and I were tickled pink and enjoyed our afternoon with old friends. Of course, I forgot to take a picture once were all seated! :-(

Elizabeth is the daughter of my dear friend and hostess. She was a bit younger than Isabelle when we left Maryland -- and now she is a beautiful young lady! Andrea and I laugh because our girls look alike.

A couple of my special friends who I shared time with today. Andrea, in the middle, hosted today's lunch in my honor. What a blessing! I have been totally spoiled while here -- another precious girlfriend has brought us snacks and a homemade dinner (delivered to the door!!) as well as driving me all over the place and helping me get laundry done. We are so, so appreciative of these many kindnesses and I am touched by the generosity of long-time friends whom we haven't seen in years.

We ended the evening by being able to talk to our pastor while we lived here (and on who's church property we are staying). God is so good to continue to build His kingdom through faithful workers such as he.
And then, to finish off a truly special day we were visited by friends who we haven't seen for years but who have kept up with our family via my blog. We had so much to share as we are kindred spirits - each passionate about our children, building a home, and homeschooling. Her oldest daughter became an immediate friend and the girls had such a fun time naming snails, feeding fish, digging wild onions, and exploring around the pond. This special treat was just what the Dr. ordered for Isabelle's downcast spirits. Isn't God good?! Thank you for your prayers!

1 comment:

  1. What a sweet girl to be missing those simple but cherished things of home. (You are missed here as well!). We will pray for her sweet heart and continue praying for a safe and fun trip for all of you. What dear friends you have to welcome you back with a luncheon and a chance to catch up. Looking forward to seeing what the boys have been up to today.

    ReplyDelete